Security policy development and management
Security policy development and management
To enforce cyber security, businesses need to develop cyber security policy, which is a statement containing responsible decisions making and a protection mechanism that an organization needs to employ to ensure the protection of information assets. It contains the conditions that help in protecting assets as well as providing proficiency in the organization of business.
Why business needs to have a cyber-security policy
One of the reasons that organizations need to deploy cyber security policy is to protect data from malicious intruders from breaching the data. Also, businesses need to comply with regulatory and privacy requirements that ensure the customer and organizational data is not accessible to unintended users. Customer and organizational information are key assets in ensuring that the business runs smoothly without interruptions and compromise. A business that has secured itself from cyber-attacks ensures it has a competitive advantage, and hence the clients are assured of the safety of their information resources, hence gaining more trust the business.
How Lean security help in developing a good cyber security policy
As stated earlier, cyber security policy provides guidelines on the assets and information resources that need to be protected, identifies threats to the information systems and providing controls to control these threats to the business. After development, the policy will ensure that the employees understand their responsibilities in protecting the information assets. Some of the issues to be covered in this policy include the following.
● Requirements for securing passwords also known as password policy. Passwords are key to protecting both customer and organizational information. The policy will include information on the best practices in storing passwords safely, when and how to update them and also advising users to create unique passwords that cannot be easily guessed and also advising on having different passwords for different logins.
● They are developing a policy for handling various incidences. In case there is an incidence that has been reported, cautious strategies should be followed to ensure the issues are contained, and that they do not cause further damage. For example, if a data breach is suspected, the first step is to report the chief information officer to advice on the necessary measures to take to ensure everything is contained.
● The security policy will ensure all the safety requirements are reached at, including those that affect the employees, customers and the organization as a whole. In this way, the policy can be termed as complete and satisfactory to be relied upon even for future reference.
● Data security measures will be ensured in the policy. Security measures such as data encryption during transit or when stored will be ensured. Data is an essential asset to organizations that need to be protected. Rules for altering and sharing essential data in the organization will be limited to specific persons, where access control will be ensured to ensure that sensitive information is protected to the highest of standards.
● The policy will also help in setting email standards and advising employees and customers on the appropriate instances to share the work email addresses. Users will be advised on taking caution when opening emails that contain attachments, where it is advisable to open attachments only when they are coming from trusted and expected contacts. Junk and emails should be blocked and deleted, including reporting suspected emails to the ICT admin.
● The policy highlight the best practices in handling sensitive data, such as when to share it with other parties, and how it can be safely stored. Sensitive data like customer bank details, company trade secrets, and important logins need to be identified and separated from the less sensitive data.
● Locking of computer devices including PCs and mobile after use is necessary as they prevent unauthorized access. This is a crucial cyber security measure, and yet many users do not take this into consideration. Also, screens in idle mode should be locked when left unattended for a long time.
● The other important issue to consider in this policy is taking care of removable devices such as USB sticks and external hard disks. Users should be cautious while connecting external devices into the computer system as they can be carriers of malware that can infect the whole computer system and thereby compromising the data in the organization. It is crucial to conduct a full scan for viruses and other malware in all removable devices before they are used in the organizational systems.
● The policy provides relevant strategies for handling different technological devices in the organization such as computers, including proper storage, reporting theft or failure to the relevant information system assistants. Also, they are advised on the best ways to conduct updates, spam filtering, and system optimization strategies.
Implementing the above cyber security policy can ensure best practices in handling information technologies for business, including carrying out safe online transactions and interactions. Lean security is there to provide the above cyber security solutions. Lean Security highly experienced professionals with over twelve years of experience in cyber security solutions. The advantage of working with us to provide cyber security solutions to your businesses is that we have certified experts, who ensure professional service, fast delivery, and always ensure our services are customer centered.
As seen from above, business security, especially in this era of increased use of information security, needs to be taken seriously. The above discussion provides a strategic way to implement a cyber-security policy in safeguarding information system assets. The policy plan if well implemented taking consideration of every step described can be beneficial to businesses not only in catering the current also built future strategies and thereby providing a well-secured IT foundation in the long run.